Saturday, July 14, 2012

FIRST-PERSON: Why poor tipping compromises the Gospel

FIRST-PERSON: Why poor tipping compromises the Gospel


After making that statement, one of my restaurant coworkers -- a divorced, agnostic man working two jobs to pay child support -- tossed a receipt with a circle around the subpar tip he had received from a Christian individual sitting at his table. In fact, the tip was less than subpar -- barely 10 percent on a $90 bill. I thought about ignoring him, but I have been attempting to share the Gospel with this coworker for a while. "Not all Christian people treat others that way," I said softly.

I have been serving tables at a restaurant for several years in order to support my wife and children and to pay my way through graduate school. Repeatedly, I have observed Christian people -- or people who identify themselves as Christians by wearing Christian T-shirts/apparel or their Christian conference name tag, etc. -- come into the restaurant at which I work, pray for their food after acting rudely toward their server, leave a 10 percent tip (give or take a few percent) and a Gospel tract, and then leave.
 


TONY DIGIROLAMO- I HAD THIS DISCUSSION RECENTLY AND IT SEEMS TO BE TRUE.
CHRISTIANS DON'T TIP WELL. AND THAT IS A PROBLEM.
The problem is that it is not a great message of the Gospel.
20% or more is in order. As the writer put it, "This is not a donation"!

No comments:

Post a Comment